Resurrect Your Resolutions
Very excited and honored to have had my article, Resurrect Your Resolutions, featured in ELYSIAN Magazine. Read my 5 key elements to your New Year’s Resolution’s success!
“Remember your New Year’s Resolution? This was going to be the year, the one to lose weight and start living a healthier lifestyle. Energized and determined, you were ready to dive right in.
If you’re like many people, by now that enthusiasm has waned. Is it too late to resurrect that resolution? No way. Improving your health is not just about a number on a scale or deleting carbs from your diet. It is creating a healthy lifestyle and mindset. This lifestyle requires more than just an annual resolution, but rather daily, weekly and monthly goals.
Ready to give your New Year’s resolution one more try? Jumpstart your NYR with five key elements:
1. Action. Having a goal gives you a sense of purpose and direction. However, “A goal without a plan is just a wish.” Because the long-term goal can seem overwhelming, it is important to break it down into daily and weekly actions.
2. Frame your goals in a positive light. Rather than setting a goal of losing weight or eating less junk food, set a goal to eat healthier foods or take a yoga class once a week. With this method, you will not feel deprived by taking something away.
3. Be realistic. Remember, every journey begins with a single step. Break your goal into smaller achievements to ensure you are continuously moving toward your overall goal. For example, rather than setting a goal to lose 50 pounds, set a smaller starter goal to lose five. Then, move onto to the next five. This will leave you feeling accomplished and consistently motivated.
4. Don’t just think them, ink them. The secret to accomplishing your goals is writing them down. Here are just a few reasons why it can lead to success:
• Clarity. Writing down your goals forces you to develop a clear understanding of what you want and how you plan to get there. Whatever you have written down, think of it as a personal GPS. Going on a vacation requires a plan of where to go, how to get there and what to do; life goals should be handled the same way.
• Focus. It is inevitable that you will meet resistance. Unfortunately, when this happens, we tend to focus on the opposition and lose sight of what is really important — our goal. Good news for you is that you have your goal written down. You have a reset button there to help ground and refocus your mindset.
• Progress. Writing down your goals is the perfect way to track your progress. Revel in the little victories and embrace how far you have come. It is important to recognize your achievements.
5. Anticipate set backs. It is human nature that once we “fall off the wagon,” we feel a sense of failure and typically throw in the towel. There will be obstacles that will test you. Accept them as they come and continue to move forward.
Keep these five tips in mind as you begin your journey to a better you. Remember to always stay focused on your goal, take small steps, celebrate the little victories and embrace a happy healthy lifestyle and mindset.”